These fluffy vanilla cupcakes are so soft and moist, they literally melt in your mouth! With a classic vanilla flavour, you can frost and fill these cupcakes with almost anything!
What makes these vanilla cupcakes so soft?
There are a few reasons behind the fluffy, soft texture of these cupcakes! Firstly, this recipe uses the creaming method, where you cream together your butter and sugar until light and fluffy. This helps to incorporate air into our batter, giving us a lighter and fluffier cupcake!
Secondly, this recipe uses oil and yoghurt, which help tenderise the crumb of the cupcake. The oil also helps to keep the cupcake moist as oil is liquid at room temperature.
What is the shelf life?
You can store these cupcakes at room temperature in an air tight container for up to a week. If you stay in a really humid climate, then you may want to refrigerate these after a few days, but wrap them in foil or cling wrap to prevent them drying out in the fridge.
Soft Vanilla Cupcakes
IMPORTANT: For accuracy, I would recommend using the gram measurements provided as those are the exact quantities I use. Cup measurements are given as estimates (based on US cup measurements) to make it easier for those who do not have a scale.
- 1 cup (125 g) flour - regular all purpose
- ¼ cup (57 g) unsalted butter - room temp
- ¾ cup (150 g) white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla essence/extract
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt - omit if using salted butter
- 1 tbsp unflavoured vegetable oil - I use canola
- ½ cup (122 g) greek yoghurt - unsweetened
- All your ingredients should be at room temperature before beginning 🙂
- Preheat your oven to 165 °C (329°F) with the fan on (see note 2 if you don't have a fan function) and place cupcake liners in a cupcake tray. Set aside.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, cream your butter and sugar together on a medium speed until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes). Make sure your butter is soft, but not melted (see note 1).
- Add in your first egg, and mix for about 15 seconds, and then add in your second egg and mix for another 15 seconds.
- Add in your vegetable oil, vanilla and yoghurt and mix that in until well combined.
- Finish off by sifting in your flour, baking powder and salt, and then mix on a low speed until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Using a tablespoon or ice cream scoop, fill the cupcake liners about 2/3rds of the way up (do not overfill them), and then bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let them completely cool before frosting 🙂
Nutritional information are estimates only as they are automatically calculated by a third party application. Actual values may differ based on brands and types of products used.