These chocolate cupcakes are the best I’ve ever made! They’re moist, fluffy, easy to make and have the most delicious fudgy melt in your mouth texture! As a frosting recommendation, check out my chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream.
What makes these cupcakes different?
There are three ingredients I use in this recipe which really sets this chocolate cupcake apart from the rest!
– Real chocolate: This recipe uses 1/2 a cup of dark chocolate, which adds an incredible depth of flavour.
– Yoghurt: By adding in some yoghurt, it’s going to produce a fluffier and moister cupcake.
– Vegetable Oil: I love baking with oil, because it helps baked goods stay moist for days! Unlike butter, oil is liquid at room temperature, resulting in a much moister cupcake.
What frosting should I use for my cupcakes?
Moist Chocolate Cupcakes
IMPORTANT: For accuracy, I would recommend using the gram measurements provided as those are the exact quantities I use. Cup measurements are given as estimates (based on US cup measurements) to make it easier for those who do not have a scale.
- ⅔ cup (83 g) flour - regular all purpose
- ⅔ cup (133 g) white sugar
- 3 tbsp (20 g) cocoa powder - unsweetened
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup (80 g) 50% dark chocolate - semi-sweet okay too
- ⅓ cup (72 g) unflavoured vegetable oil - I use canola
- ¼ cup (61 g) yoghurt - sour cream okay too
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp instant coffee powder
- ⅓ cup (78 g) hot water
- 2 tsp vanilla essence/extract
- Preheat your oven to 155 °C (311°F) with the fan on (see note 1 if you don't have a fan function) and line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners.
- Combine your flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and whisk together until well combined. Set aside.
- In a heatproof bowl, combine your dark chocolate and oil and melt in the microwave for 1 minute or until your chocolate is melted. Mix together so they're well combined and you have a smooth liquid mixture.
- To your chocolate/oil mixture, add in your yoghurt, eggs, vanilla and instant coffee powder and whisk together until well combined.
- Add in your hot water to the chocolate mixture and mix until well combined.
- Pour your liquid mixture into your dry ingredients and whisk together for about 45 seconds until its well combined. Do not overmix.
- Distribute the batter into your cupcake cases and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow them to completely cool before frosting with your favourite topping! I love using chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream for these cupcakes.
Nutritional information are estimates only as they are automatically calculated by a third party application. Actual values may differ based on brands and types of products used.